[Bards] some {more} Notes!

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 6 08:43:28 PST 2006

Magadalia wrote:
Would having the college again set guidelines for performances? Would the
college encourage new bards? Would the college embrace bards of all styles?
Would the college encourage current bards to branch out into other areas?
Would the college assist people in finding resources?   I could go on and on
in "would the college" but I'll stop for now.

These are difficult to answer in yes/no form.  Here are my thoughts, based on comments people have made thus far.

The College should not be an authoritative body.  It should not mandate who/what/where/when/why bardic is done, but it may offer suggestions as a resource.  For example, if I'm going to run a bardic circle, I should be able to look to the college for ways to run an effective circle - take some ideas and reject others until I come up with a circle I'm excited to run.  But the college should not say, "This is how all bardic circles are to be run."

The College may encourage newcomers to bardic, but really, I think it should be the people who make up the college who encourage new bards.  But some people will be encouraged by having a collective body they can identify with.

The College should include and support all bardic performance styles.  However, it will be up to the practitioners of those styles to provide support for them, so some styles may be better supported than others.

The College should not directly encourage bards to branch out into other areas, however it should provide materials which will assist bards who choose to do so.  Members of the College may encourage others to branch out, but the College itself should not be perceived to be steering anyone's choices.

The College should definitely help in the area of resources.  That's why we're coming together isn't it?  To share knowledge and improve the arts in our kingdom?

~Alden