[Bards] Favorite songs

Katherine of Scarborough katofscarborough at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 20:26:28 PST 2006

Saundra of Loch Raeburn <teacherceleste at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> PS.  I would LOVE to hear your favorite
> song/story/poem from our current history.  In other
> words, bring out those songs that you may have
> gotten sick of, but maybe the new people have never
> heard.  You know the ones I mean.  The ones that the
> first time YOU heard them, they made you go WOW.
> I've got dibs on Spring Strathspy.  (Okay, okay, I
> slaughtered the spelling, but I can still sing it.)
>     :)

What a great topic!

The song that first really made me decide that "this
is what I wanna do" was "Witch of the Westmerelands."
I was in Caid, at my second tourney ever, and I
overheard two voices singing this driving, jubilant
melody with a harmony laid over it that gave me
tingles, and then I listened to the words... and I was
riveted by the adventure and magic they imparted.  I
wanted to sing songs like that.

>From that point on, I was attending bardic circles
regularly, talking with experienced bards, listening
to them, and being constantly encouraged even though,
at the time, I had two songs in my repertoire and
could barely play my guitar.  Several years later, I'm
still here, still trying.  But I'm living proof that,
sometimes, all it takes is a song wafting over a list
field, sung by a couple of veteran bards willing to
share their craft, to grab hold of a newcomer and
awaken a passion in them that they didn't even know
existed.

-Catrin ferch Maelgwn

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $420k for $1,399/mo.
Calculate new payment!
http://www.LowerMyBills.com/lre