[Bards] One person's opinion

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 7 12:00:33 PST 2006

On Nov 7, 2006, at 12:09 PM, John Hirling wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I've read with interest the discussions engendered by HL Gerald of
> Leesville's original post and applaud him for reawakening the
> exchange of ideas on the list.
>
> <snip>
>
> My experience with and observation of kingdom wide organizations
> does not recommend the establishment of an organization of
> Ansteorran Bards.  Nothing I have read to date challenges those
> experiences and observations.
>
> There are many reasons why these organizations fall short of the
> high expectations and good intentions of their supporters:
> politics, lack of support, the organization becoming more important
> than its vision, lack of shared vision, real life, to name only a few.
>
> Nor have I observed these organizations as being more adept at
> planning or running an event.  That is much more a function of the
> stewards, their coordinators, and local support.

Thanks, Ihon, for taking the time to a) read all the posts, and b)
give us your thoughts.

You have succinctly stated several of my own concerns about a
college, especially that it might turn into something exclusionary
and political as opposed to an apolitical "big tent" for all
Ansteorran bards who wish to partake (i.e., "to be one, say you are
one").

> So, without such organization, what might we do to encourage and
> strengthen our performing arts?
>
> <snip suggestions>
>
> Finally, you are a performer when you perform -- not because you
> belong to an organization of performers.
>
> In your service,
>
> ihon vinson macFergus, OL
> Deputy Minister of Arts & Sciences for Bardic the Performing Arts

Thanks again,
Michael Silverhands