[Bards] What's *your* idea of what a college is (or ought to be)?

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 8 09:22:12 PST 2006

The subject speaks for itself. :-)

Robin of Gilwell is one of the most noble and passionate people I
know. If he believes in something, I have to believe there's an
excellent chance that it's worth believing in, even if I know nothing
else about it. He has convinced me that, generally speaking, a
college might be a Good Thing(tm) -- possibly a *very* Good Thing
(tm), if we can repeat the successes of history while avoiding prior
mistakes. Maybe he's romanticizing a bit, a la Camelot, but maybe he
also has a point. I'm still interested in considering the idea.

Robert Fitzmorgan has asked some *excellent* questions in another
thread, "The Right Questions". I encourage everyone here to take a
stab at answering those questions, which go to the heart of our needs
in general (not specifically relating to a college).

But I'm also interested in getting folk's opinion on the basic
concepts of a bardic college, before we possibly resume talking about
whether we want one or not.

Replace the words "college of bards" with the word "car". Pretend
that you've asked me to go out into the market and talk about cars
with people, most of whom -- as it happens -- have never seen a car
and have absolutely no idea what one is. Pretend that *I* don't even
know what it is you've got in mind... but *you* do.

Right off the bat, they're probably going to ask things like "What's
a car? What would I do with one if I had one? How is that better than
a horse? How's it work?" If I have no concrete idea myself, I'm not
going to be able to answer their questions -- let alone get to the
one I'd like to ask them ("Do you think you'd like to have a car?").
I'm going to look like an idiot, and it's going to be a giant waste
of all our time.

So... please take a moment to consider the following questions, if
you will, and share *your* thoughts on what you think the answers
might be. According to m'lady Alesone, we've got 130 voices on this
list. I'm interested to hear some of those thoughts. :-)

Please note the emphasis on *you* ("what do you think...", "what
would it do for you...", etc.). I'm not asking anyone to guess or try
to state what everyone else's opinion is -- just their own -- or to
presume to speak for everyone -- just themselves.

Finally, don't be afraid to answer. Please don't let the fact that
there are several questions keep you from sharing your thoughts, if
you only really have an idea about one or two of them. And remember,
there are no wrong answers. These are just your point of view.

Basic concept:
What do you think this idea called "college of bards" is (or ought to
be)? In general terms at least, or specifically if you have specific
ideas.

Function:
Whatever that thing is, what do you think it would do for you --
specifically, if you can -- that you and the current company of bards
either aren't able to do for themselves, or would be done better by a
college (whatever that is)? I.e., "What would you do with one if you
had one?"

Form:
Whatever that thing is, how do you think it would it work? What form
do you think it would it have?

Benefit:
Whatever that thing is, why would you want one?

Curiously,
Michael

p.s. As a courtesy to others, when you reply to this, please cut out
all but the survey itself and your replies. Thanks.