[Bards] The Right Questions

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 8 10:08:24 PST 2006

With due respect to the official proponents of A&S, bardic offerings *as
presented within the SCA* do not usually mesh well with the layout of
"the A&S venues" as they are typically organized in Ansteorra.  The
portions of the "compleat" bardic experience that fit the best to
typical A&S are not those usually associated to the typical bard of the
SCA:  face it, research papers, genealogies, written-out histories just
don't have the cachet of rising in front of an audience and holding it
spell-bound with the telling of a good yarn or the singing of a tragic
ballad.

With due respect to the MoA&S, Kingdom Eisteddfod and the local-branch
bardic championships ARE indeed "A&S venues" -- venues which are
specific to the performance of forms which are appropriate for those
situations, and may not be received in the same way in the typical
Kingdom A&S, or Laurel's Prize Tourney, of local-branch A&S
Championship.

Ihon, please do enter if you are so moved -- and do let us know how much
traction you can get in trying to add bardic performance to the
"mainstream" / "normal" A&S venues.  If past experience is any
predictor, it will not be an easy thing to do.  Please consider also
that adding a performance room separate from the main display area is
not the same thing.  (I, personally, consider such to be separate &
unequal -- but also note that I don't have a better general solution,
either, given the existing needs of A&S and the normal limitations of
sites used to host such events.  May be a case of the best we can hope
for under the overall circumstances -- but it should give any organizer
significant pause before combining Kingdom A&S with Eisteddfod
IMNSHO...)

I do not expect my opinion on this to bear much weight, but I do know
that it will be received and noted as another voice -- even if it
currently must echo from a far place to reach your attentions.

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe (Mike C. Baker)

Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em | alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com OR
MCBaker216 at cs.com

Buy my writings!:  <http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen>
http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen |
<http://www.livejournal.com/users/kihebard/>

Piggy-backing on the words of my boss, I'd like to see more performace
at Kingdom A&S.  For my part, I vow to do whatever I can to see that our
art receives the same treatment and consideration as any other genre.
May even enter!
~ihon
DMoAS for Bardic & Performance Arts