[Bards] What's *your* idea of what a college is (or ought to be)?

Lori Wyvill lori at drweakley.com
Wed Nov 8 14:05:29 PST 2006

BASIC CONCEPT:
**What do you think this idea called "college of bards" is (or ought to be)?
In general terms at least, or specifically if you have specific ideas.

I'm not sure.  My initial thought is that it would a "Place" where bards and
performers could come together to share and solve problems, learn from each
other, support and encourage each other.  It would help new bards become
more involved and provide (or at least assist in providing) more/new venues
for performers.

FUNCTION:
**Whatever that thing is, what do you think it would do for you --
specifically, if you can -- that you and the current company of bards either
aren't able to do for themselves, or would be done better by a college
(whatever that is)? I.e., "What would you do with one if you had one?"

I'm not sure that it could be done better with a college, but one area I see
that needs "improvement" is helping new bards (or those who would maybe like
to be bards/performers) find opportunities to meet mentor-types, provide
encourage to perform, and to teach them "what next."  Yes, I know that most
of you on this list are more than willing to talk to would-be-bards, and are
very friendly and helpful, but sometimes you can be a bit intimidating.  I
don't know that a college would necessarily help improve that - we have
tools in place that just need to be fine-tuned.  The website has a link for
Bardic Mentors - we need more people to sign up.  Having the branch and a
picture would be helpful too.  We mainly need to get the word out to the
branches and the "first-line" people that meet and greet newcomers where to
find the information.

FORM:
**Whatever that thing is, how do you think it would it work? What form do
you think it would it have?

I think there should be regular, scheduled meetings/workshops/roundtables in
different areas so as to allow the most people to attend as possible.  If
rotating through regions is not feasible, at least locate the meetings as
centrally as possible.  There would also be minutes posted on the website
for those that can't make the "meeting."

BENEFIT:
**Whatever that thing is, why would you want one?

Oh, I don't know, maybe just a good excuse to travel more and get to know
each other a little better.  I'd get to meet the authors of those
compositions posted on the website and maybe be able to hear them performed.

Again, I'm not sure if college is the answer, but I am willing to work to
accomplish whatever direction we as a group decide to go.

Alesone