[Bards] Some Answers

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 9 06:13:39 PST 2006

With no disrespect to Her Grace, I would argue that the Premier Bard should first and foremost be the Crown's Bard, as he/she is Their champion (noun).  Secondary to that, the Premier Bard should champion (verb) the bardic arts and the bardic community.  It should not be a requirement of the champion to take on the leadership of the bardic community - any more than the King's Champion should be the Earl Marshal.  If the Premier Bard chooses to do that job, great!  But he/she should not feel that it is an obligation upon winning Eisteddfod.  I would imagine some fine bards might opt to not compete in Eisteddfod if that were the case.  And this should hold true on any level.  Just because I'm the Titled Bard of Somewheregreen, doesn't make me their Bardic Guild Principal.

Alden