[Bards] The Right Questions

gail young gwynethb63 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 9 08:40:31 PST 2006

I guess I'm not making myself clear...I never considered putting Estedfodd with Kingdom A&S.  Perhaps a meeting would be better than email:)
  Guess after 25 years in the SCA, I'll finally make it to Twelth Night<G>
  gwyneth

Jay Rudin <rudin at ev1.net> wrote:
          Gwyneth wrote:

> I think if you would move as a group towards making bards more of a part
  > of the mainstream A&S community you would make people more aware
  > of your talents then you as a group would become more aware of others
  > talents and therefore get stronger.  If that happens, then the A&S
  > community as a whole, and therefore Ansteorra as a whole, gets stronger.
  >  MY first step, if I were a bard, would be to make my spotlight event
  > ligitimate by bringing it into the A&S venues.

Yeah, I know -- that sounds so reasonable.  As Baron of the Steppes, I had the exact same thought, and so we moved Steppes Eisteddfod to the Steppes Artisan event.

After doing it once, we moved it away.  The Eisteddfod requires the absolute focus of all judges, from start to finish.  Nobody can both judge the bardic competition (if it's of any size) and look over all the tables.  That year I never got to look at the tables, and the Baroness never got to hear the bards.

If Kingdom Eisteddfod were moved to Kingdom A&S, then I would never get to see the tables at A&S, and would be further removed from the static artists.

I agree that it would ideally be at a kingdom venue rather than Twelfth Night, but that venue should be a bardic one, not competing with other arts for the attention of the kingdom.  When it was its own event, it was a much bigger activity, and a much bigger part of the kingdom.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

http://mail.yahoo.com