[Bards] Bardic Recognition/Availability (was Topic: Is the usage of performers in your area, and events in general, sufficient?)

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 24 07:26:49 PDT 2006

My personal preference is for something easily visible and consistent across the board.  Then those seeking us out only have to look for one thing in the same location on everybody.  They wouldn't have to look for baldrics, belt favors, boot garters, hat bands, etc., trying to find the bardic badge.

Though if a limited variety of display forms are desired, chirurgeons use belt "favors" and baldrics to denote their apprentice/journeyman/master grades.  Both are reasonably visible, and only worn when they are on duty.  However, the favor and the baldric both incorporate the badge of the chirurgeonate.  If we're going to allow for different ways to display "bardic availability", we should incorporate the same heraldry.  Best option for that is probably the badge "Or, a mullet of five greater and five lesser points within the frame of an Irish harp sable" (registered for the Queen's College of Bards of Ansteorra).

Alden Drake