[Bards] What is a bard?

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 25 13:12:03 PDT 2006

I'll let Master Garraed answer for himsef, but if you look at what he says after "Bardic Arts is Song, Story or Poetics that is relevant to the culture of the society" (note the small 's' in society;)", he adds "The intention of this was to define it separately from the other performing arts like theatre, dance, etc."  Music (instrumental) can be categorized as an "other performing art".

However, take a look at how our own kingdom splits performance arts.  We have Deputy A&S Ministers for Bardic & Performance (Master Ihon), and Dance and Music (HL Rhiannon).  I take this to mean that vocal music would fall under Master Ihon and instrumental music would fall under HL Rhiannon.  However, if you look at our championships, you have bardic champions and dance champions.  Which one is more suited to an instrumental music piece?  Probably bardic.  As such if I'm coordinating a bardic championship, I would not disallow an instrumental piece from being performed because they have no other appropriate venue - particularly since A&S competitions are generally taken to be static arts.

Alden

>The definition that we came up with at the first KW Bardic College event
>(in 2000) when asked 'what the heck is bardic arts?' was:
>
>"Bardic Arts is Song, Story or Poetics that is relevant to the culture
>of the society" (note the small 's' in society;)

Song... Or should it be Music?

Why this choice of words?

Maggie