[Bards] What is a bard?

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed Oct 25 14:23:00 PDT 2006

Amata wrote:

>As someone who is more of an instrumentalist, I always feel on the periphery of these kinds of discussions.  That said, when the topic was posed about sashes designating who is willing to perform, I'm happy to be asked to play the harp or other instrumental music so I could see wearing some token like this as applying to myself. I don't see the harp being an entry in a bardic competition without singing or speaking along with it.  I'd be happy to be included in a college of bards but would probably tremble with fear if people took that to mean I could tell a story! - Amata

That sounds like a very accurate assessment and a healthy response.  The periphery perhaps, but a respected and noteworthy periphery, and you should always be welcomed by everyone.  My view is that a harp piece certainly is a respectable entry into a bardic competition, but by itself it isn't very likely to win.  But it isn't up to the College to set standards for any bardic competition unless it holds one itself.  The Baron and Baroness of the Steppes will decide what is accepted in the Steppes competition, for instance.

(Actually, I really like having harp music at a bardic circle, because I can practice my next poem under my breath while enjoying your music, but I can't practice a poem while listening to somebody else's words.)

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin