[Bards] Queen's College of Bards -- who's up for it?

Marlin Stout ldcharles at ev1.net
Wed Oct 25 21:16:27 PDT 2006

Kathy Elliott wrote:

> Good call.  A poor choice of words on my part.

Well, I was starting to wonder if anyone actually /read/ my post, until
your reply...  =)

I just think we should remember that politics killed the last college,
and a new one needs to be seen as a benefit to the kingdom, or politics
will kill it as well. Which would be a shame, as it always is when
politics kills fun in the SCA, especially since fun is what were all
here for in the first place.

For my $.02 on it, I think the idea of a college of bards is good, and
having something to identify us as bards is also good, though not just
for the reasons I've seen discussed. There is a young lady here in BG
(age 9) who is very much bitten by the bardic bug, and really enjoys
performing. I think it would br great for her, and all the other folks
out there who want to be bards, to be able tell who is a bard and ask
them for advice. By this I mean sometime other than at a bardic circle
or competition; then we tend to concentrate on our performances and
those of others and not be interested in discussions. So, if she sees
Kat, or Robin, or Simone, or anyone else wearing the insignia of the
college sitting around the list field or such, she'd know they're
someone she can talk to about bardic.

In other words, if you're in the college, you're a teacher. You may not
be as knowledgeable as some others, but you're telling new bards out
there that they can ask you for advice and you'll answer them. Or at
least tell them who can better help them.

As far as a sash or baldric goes, that would be good. After all, it
works for chiurgeons and heralds well enough. Depending on what else I'm
wearing I might want a belt favor of the same colors/pattern/etc to wear
instead; for instance a baldric wouldn't work well with my BG Guard
uniform, or my armor for that matter. But that could be a personal
choice and not legislated; as long as it's recognizable, it should be ok.

And I'm very uncomfortable with 'ranks' in the college. If you've got
the stones to perform in public, you're a bard. If you don't get nasty
things thrown at you, you're a good bard. If you occasionaly get nice
things thrown at you, or people ask you to perform stuff, you're a
really good bard. If you've won a championship or two, you're lucky.

You know where you are, and where you want to be. What else matters?
With heralds and chiurgeons, ranks are important. If heralds don't know
who's in charge nobody knows who to tell stuff to, and names, devices
and awards maybe get lost. If chiurgeons don't know who's in charge,
everyone does their own thing, and somone maybe dies. If bards don't
know who's in charge, everyone does their own thing....
...and maybe someone has a moving experience. Or better yet, gets
/inspired.../

Ld Charles MacKinnon
Bard of Bryn Gwlad