[Bards] hello From Truly/Eleanor

Truly Carmichael trulinor at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 12:35:12 PDT 2006

So - when my husband turned to me and said "wow - the Ansteorran bardic list is on fire" I read what you all have been saying and just had to say Hello.
HELLO ALL!! MISS YOU!!
Back on topic - Cooks need a kitchen, fighters need armor, swords and a safe place to whack each other, and bards need venues.  If the bardic college could be a forum for saying "OK - who is arranging bardic at the local shire/baronial event this weekend" and the person who volunteers makes sure that there is something on the website or newsletter saying "there will be an acceptable place and interested people to do bardic" and THEN makes sure that there's a quiet room, agreeable campsite, firewood,  beverages, whatever you think the situation requires - it sounds to me like a great idea. If this college can make sure that folks have the tools required to DO bardic - you will just have more people to play with and more fabulous new material to learn and enjoy.
RE: royal patron, etc. Having a specific patron in a visible public position can work great - when it works. I'd voice a little concern that asking the queen to have a relationship with the bards when she (or her heir) may just really dislike the bardcraft she has seen in the SCA. I don't think it's actually a terribly crucial point one way or the other - like Gerald - I don't really think the name is as important as what gets DONE.
So - starting with Robin's image of building from the ground up - it seems that the first thing would be to devise what you'd like the college to DO.  I think I've read several suggestions:
Ensuring venues at events
Facilitating the teaching of performance material
Creating a sense of community/belonging??? (did I make that up?)
Compile a list of go-to people in each area
Did I miss anything??
One more note - as I have met and gotten to know more bards from different parts of the world, it's come to my attention that Ansteorra has a LOT of competitions, comparatively to other kingdoms. I don't mean just bardic either - I mean everything! If I may offer a bit of utterly unasked for advice - I'd say rather than hosting more competitions,focus on supporting each other and making more places for what you want to happen. Write or perform stuff that the average Joe can join in on - even if it isn't what you like to perform the best. Create ritual that includes Bardic (Occasional Verse - verse for an occasion)  like the Queen's Champion Song. make something that becomes part of what people think of as intrinsic to their event experience. (in Ealdoremere - the new royals MUST have this particular piece of poetry - The Line of the North - read before they feel that they are actually "ROYAL" - and "Let the Hall Ring for the Princess of Ealdormere" is performed for the new princess at the Crown tourney Feast) Write the 12th night song -  write the Crown Tourney poem. Compose the Ansteorran Royal Processional Instrumental March - and play it till people know it as they know Pomp and Circumstance at graduations. These things strengthen communities more, it seems to me, because the create identity and include more people.
The bardic college you create can help bring these things about - if they are what you want and you keep them in focus.
Truly Carmichael

Canadian Daytime number: 519-843-2117

Truly Carmichael

Canadian Daytime number: 519-843-2117