[Bards] Bardic college Events

Robert Fitzmorgan fitzmorgan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 22:48:10 PDT 2006

On 10/26/06, Alden Drake <alden_drake at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>  While it might be late in the schedule for *this* Eisteddfod, is
> Eisteddfod a biddable event for any group to host?  I have no objection to
> Steppes hosting it if they desire to do so, as it provides a relatively
> central location, but there's something to be said for a kingdom
> championship that rotates through the various regions too.  For one, it
> might bring experienced bards into regions that are bard-light who might
> enjoy hearing some performers that they don't get to hear that often.  It
> could also inspire bards to travel around more, and thereby gain a bit more
> kingdom-wide renown.
>
> Alden

     I'm not against the idea of having Eisteddfod move around if it's
handled well, but I will say that the current practice of having it at
Twelfth Night works a lot better than than what we had before.  I think that
Finnacan makes some good points.  It wasn't always handled well in the
past.
    You are also somewhat at the mercy of whoever wants to bid on it.  Not
every venue works well for Eisteddfod, but if you want to have it in a
particular region during a particular time of year you pretty much have to
take whatever is offered whether it is suitable or not.    While Sokol hall
is not an ideal environment for bardic performance,  I have seen much
worse.
    Twelfth Night is a large and well attended event.  Usually there aren't
any other events on the same weekend.  Other venues will likely be sharing
the calender with other events causing some of the bards to have to choose
between entering Eisteddfod or supporting their local event.  The new
Kingdom bard will have to find a group in the appropriate region that is
willing to host the next competition.  That may not always be easy.  And as
I said before someone will think it's a great idea to have the Eisteddfod at
one of the Kingdom level A & S events.  If you are a Bard who is also
interested in other Arts and Sciences that is really annoying.
    These problems taken individually or as a whole are not insurmountable.
There are solutions.  I just want to make sure that we are aware of the
problems.  In my opinion what we have now is better than what we had
before.  That doesn't mean that we can't do even better.
    I'm a big believer that if it ain't broke don't fix it.  I'm not
convinced that what we have now is broke.  Before we start making changes I
think we need to have a clear idea of what it is that we are trying to
achieve and how those changes will help us achieve it.  If you can convince
me that moving Eisteddfod will strengthen the bardic community or make for a
stronger competition then I'll get behind it.  For now though it feels like
changing things just to be changing them.  I was never a big fan of that.
    I definatly think that this is worth discussing though.
Robert