[Bards] Bardic college Events

jerryn at houston.rr.com jerryn at houston.rr.com
Sat Oct 28 09:03:46 PDT 2006

I understand that Eistedfodd SOUNDS daunting.

Documentation?  I'm not sure whether it's required in this particular
competition this year (I know Elanor posted the rules, but I'm not at
my home computer for checking), but it hasn't always been a
requirement in the past.  And if it is required, is it really so bad
to ask for documentation on one piece from an A&S standpoint?

Original pieces?  I know for a fact that you have enough "I was there"
stories to count as original pieces.  Why not trot them out?

In the end, there are people who will compete and there are those who
won't.  Neither is better than the other.  Eistedfodd is only one part
of our performance community, and it is seen by many as a chance for
bardic to shine in the kingdom.  I compete for a variety of reasons;
to push myself beyond the normal expectation, to join in friendly
competition with my peers and betters, to learn new techniques, see
others perform, and share good company.  Am I nervous?  A little.
Will I make a mistake?  Probably.  I play to win, but since I've
actually started down the performance arts path, I've yet to enter a
competition where I was not satisfied if someone won the competition
instead of me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that all of these "roadblocks" that
you wrote about, are things that I'd like to encourage you (and
others) to think of as "homework".  If I have a hope for anything in
any of the discussions and arguments that will happen on this list, it
is that someone who thought "I can't do that" finds that they can.
Amberlea, I hope the time comes that you feel that you can enter,
because I'll be there every year from now on.  And I'll have a big
smile if I see you there as a competitor, for I'll get to see one more
person who is going to do their best and ask me to do the same.

In service to the dream with a song in my heart, I am
HL Gerald of Leesville
A bard of Stargate