[Bards] Old ways, new ways, Eistedfodd gestapo and performance anxiety

Gerald Norris jerryn at houston.rr.com
Sat Oct 28 21:21:54 PDT 2006

All in one roof.  Step right up!

Last first.  What I'm really talking about is competition anxiety.  Most
everyone's nervous, but there will always be those people who just can't get
past the huge block of anxiety that hits them when they wish to compete.
It's an uncomfortable feeling, and part of those irrational fears that pop
up from time to time (heighths, snakes, planes, etc.).  For some people,
this is something they can't get past.

For others, repeated exposure, incrementally increased and over a period of
time, can help others get past this.  Starting with anonymous singing in a
circle with a singalong.  Learning a song or two and getting a chance to
sing or tell a story at a circle.  Eventually some competition , and so on.
It might take years, but it's possible to overcome the fear of competition,
of comparing oneself with another in performance.  The fighters do it all
the time, but they have that mask/helm to hide behind.... Hmmm.  Masked
bardic?

Participation in the Eistedfodd really only requires that you attempt your
best.  Don't have documentation for at least one piece you perform and it's
required?  It's not impossible to ask someone for help.  Really.  The whole
purpose of the college/community/bobsled should be to encourage others to
learn more about their craft, whether it's story-telling, acting, reciting
poetry, composing, singing, playing music for dancers, or dancing.  If
you're having problems finding documentation for a piece, are there people
who you can ask?  Have you tried?

Willow, you gave us old and new sorta summarized.  Is there any way someone
could post the old and new bardic college charters to the list?  Please?

So.  We've at least got 5 so far for Eistedfodd, at least from the list.
Anyone else?

I'm also intrigued with the idea of the "bowout".

In service to the dream with a song in my heart, I am,
HL Gerald of Leesville
A bard of Stargate