[Bards] Eisteddfod participation

Katherine of Scarborough katofscarborough at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 29 20:48:13 PST 2006

Wow.  Having caught up on the (very exciting) flurry
of activity on this list over the weekend, I wanted to
add my little peep at least to this thread of the
discussion.

Count me as another of those who would enjoy the
experience of competing in Eisteddfod, and who
understands the importance of supporting our Kingdom
bardic competition--but who feels hesitant to
participate because of the weighty responsibilities
attached.

I think this may be a factor for a lot of folks in
choosing not to compete.  Ansteorra has a reputation
as a kingdom that produces stellar (!) bards, and the
Premier Bard of Ansteorra, it seems to me, should be
ready not only to honor and uphold, but to further
that reputation.  That's a duty I aspire to be ready
for someday, but I know I'm not, yet.  And while I
also know that I have a snowball's chance of needing
to worry about it, I approach Eisteddfod just like I
would approach fighting in a Crown Tourney: I
shouldn't make the attempt unless I'm fully prepared
to accept the responsibility, however far-fetched my
chances.

That said, I think the idea of the "bow out" is worth
consideration.  If I'm not alone in my thinking, and
if increased participation is what we're aiming for,
then that may well be one way to get it.

Either way, I look forward to attending this year and
sitting at the feet of the finest bards in the land.
Even if the room will be hot and stuffy and those fine
bardic feet start to turn ripe after a while...

Mirthfully,
Catrin ferch Maelgwn
Bard of Skorragardr