[Bards] no suger coating on this

Cisco Cividanes engtrktwo at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 31 08:01:29 PST 2006

Okay, time to make everyone mad at me.

Sorry , but this is how I see it, and I say what I am about to say with all the respect due to the audience present.

Guys, Hollywood makes movies for millions of dollars, they run for upwards of two to three hours a pop, and during the summer, most theaters can't sell $12.00 tickets fast enough.

We do 3 - 10 minute performances for FREE, and do them to an audience that is much, much more homogeneous than the one Hollywood markets to. And yet, we still have trouble getting people to sit through the first round of most bardic competitions, IF we can get them to show up at all.

You know, If I presented this scenario to a theater operator, a director, or a performing arts teachers, I am highly suspicious the answer would be a pointed and painful rendition of "Wow, you guys must be pretty bad."

You know what? I think we have a bad reputation.

We are an entertainment industry. Weather we deal in dollar figures or championships or just prestigue, we are subject to supply and demand just like Hollywood.

If a Movie directer couldn't fill a theater once every three weeks with a $.50 ticket sale, we would all say he sucked.

Right now, we--the bards of Ansteorra--cant seem to fill some competitions, and they are free attendance. So what dose that say about us?

Okay, break here---

I'm sorry guys, I honestly don't want to hurt people's feelings, and I don't want to make enemies, but I just feel that the truth is looking us in the face--or part of the truth anyway--and a lot of people aren't addressing it.

Yes, I play in the north, so my opinion is reflective of my location.
Yes, those who know me know I am passionate and rarely soft spoke,
And yes, I LOVE Ansteora and I love Bardic,
I'm just more than a little frustrated as watching what I see as a decline in both out prestige and out influence.

More to follow momentarily......watch the list.

Ivo Blackhawk