[Bards] A request for list courtesy

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 31 08:57:13 PST 2006

(Posted previously on the Ansteorra list)

Greetings cousins,

Lately we've gotten pretty bad on this list about quoting the full
text of long messages, just to add a short (often personal) reply.
When you find yourself about to do that, please ask yourself two
questions *before* you click the "Send" button:

* Do I really need to quote the full text? Or could I cut some (or
even all) of it without any loss of meaning?

* Do I really need to send this to the list? I.e., do 50 people need
to see this message? Or is it really a personal reply that could just
as well be sent to one person, off-list?

I know that it's a lot easier to just click "Reply", type your short
message at the top (of a possibly *very* long message), and click
"Send". But that's easier for *you*, not for everyone else who then
has to wade through a list clogged with unnecessary quoting.

If we can do this, it will result in a list that's easier for all of
us to read, and will be especially appreciated by those who get the
list in digest (bulk) form -- and those who have to read a lot of
messages all at once.

I'm not meaning to pick on anyone in particular. As my German great-
grandmother used to say, "I'm not fussin' at you, I'm just tellin'
you." :-)

Kind regards,
Michael Silverhands
occasional tilter at windmills