[Bards] in response to Esther

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 31 14:21:58 PST 2006

On Oct 31, 2006, at 4:08 PM, Jay Rudin wrote:

> What's the goal?  We need a goal before a proposal to achieve it.
>
> Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

I agree that Eisteddfod will be best served when it stands on its
own. But first, it must be able to do so. Currently -- as Robin,
Gerald and others have reported -- we've got maybe 10 entrants and
however many judges. That doth not an event make.

So, it seems that we have to accept the current situation -- piggy-
backed with Steppes Twelfth Night (or some other event) -- and just
be grateful to be having one at all. Then grow the bardic community,
and by so doing, grow the Eisteddfod. When it's big enough to stand
on its own, do so. That will take time. Probably several years, at
least.

Or, we could "cut the apron strings" right now, and just have a very
small event at first. As long as the hosting group doesn't mind going
to the trouble for such an initially small event, I don't see any
problem with that. The event could be made larger by including
workshops, either as an interim band-aid to help the event be large
enough, or maybe to become a permanent fixture of the event.

I think we could learn a lesson from King's Lancer, or Royal
Huntsman. Those lists, by their very nature, are small in number of
entrants. In order to occur, they just about *have* to piggy-back
with some other event. *But*, those events do *not* overshadow the
tournament. I think that's the problem with Steppes Twelfth Night.
I'm grateful that we have an Eisteddfod, but currently it is forced
to compete (for hall space, attention, other resources) with the
Twelfth Night festivities -- and it just can't compete with that, as
Robin so eloquently pointed out. I think we would be better served if
Eisteddfod were piggy-backed with a much smaller event.

That's my take on it, anyway.

I think that growing the bardic community is the real problem. So...
there, Robin: that's my goal. I want more Ansteorrans to take part in
and enjoy bardic. I think that goal can be achieved by:
* good bards being visibly active, thus recruiting by example
* promoting and growing our bardic championships, especially our
foremost championship (Eisteddfod).

I think that both of those things will, in turn, be a natural
consequence of growing the bardic community. The processes reinforce
each other.

Michael