[Bards] college versus community

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 31 14:27:45 PST 2006

On Oct 31, 2006, at 4:17 PM, Alden Drake wrote:

> In the discussion between Michael and Robin about a college versus
> a community, I'd offer up the difference that I see.
>
> We have a community, albeit a bit scattered and unfocused at
> present.  The concept of a college is to give the members of our
> community a focal point and framework to build on.  By comparison,
> you can tell a construction company to build a house, or you can
> give them some blueprints and say build *this* house.  The
> blueprints will outline the structure, but leave lots of room for
> some modifications and personal preferences, but the workers at
> least have a similar plan in mind to start with.
>
> Our concept of a college should be similar.  It should give us a
> common environment to come together to learn and grow as bards, but
> leave enough flexibility for each of us to find our own interests/
> path in the bardic community.
>
> Alden

I actually disagree with the analogy.

We're not talking about giving the bardic community a blueprint for
how to be a bard, or how to conduct bardic activities. At least, I
don't *think* we are. If we are, then I would strongly object to such
an idea.

I think it's more like talking about a fraternity. I'm hearing the
theory that we might feel like a more close-knit community if we
could say "Hail, sister, and well-met" when we met another member of
the college. But that's where I get hung up: we can do that today,
when we meet another *bard*. (You are one if you say you're one.) You
don't need a college to achieve that. You don't even need "gang
colors" (a blue favor or whatever), although it arguably makes it
easier to pick one of us out of a crowd.

Michael