[Bards] college versus community

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 31 15:06:17 PST 2006

Um...my analogy wasn't meant to imply how to be a bard, but rather to point out the need for our community to have a shared focus.

The example of a fraternity works too.  I'm a member of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (the Men's Professional Music Fraternity of America, Inc.), and if you just look at the chapter level, it has it's own structure (Pres., VP, Pledgemaster, Sgt-at-Arms, etc...) and organized activities that are annual, or occasional.  We come from all different majors, but with one shared passion - music.  And we are bound by the shared experience of pledging.  That love and that bond makes us brothers. The connection we have with our pledge brothers is especially strong.  Fourteen years after pledging, if one of my pledge brothers called for my help, I'd be there.  Thankfully one lives in Houston now, so it's not a long drive. ;)

Alden