[Bards] Topic: Is the usage of performers in your area, and events in general, sufficient?

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed Oct 25 09:52:52 PDT 2006

Michael Silverhands wrote:

> Thank you for that history, Your Grace! I apologize for not knowing
> it. In light of this, I concede that most of my points were wrong,
> except one: it *was* politics that killed the College. :-(
>
> However, I stand by my opinion that the bards don't need a college,
> household, or whatever in order to flourish.

True -- the bards don't "need" a college.  And the fencers don't need a
legion and the peers don't need circles and the royal peers don't need to be
a "Royal Family" and the re-enactors don't need a kingdom and two lovers
don't need a marriage and like-minded Ansteorrans don't need households and

... but enough.  People don't join together because they "need" to; they
join together because they want to.

> They just need a venue
> in which to perform, the desire to perform in it, and the heart to
> illuminate us with their craft (even when some would prefer not to be
> illuminated).

True.  But the fact remains.  We had a greater abundance of bards and bardic
support when we had a college -- a system of people dedicated to the bards
(which we have now) and a structure that made it easier to do (which we
don't have now).

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin