[Bards] Fw: Queen's College of Bards -- who's up for it?

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 25 11:16:06 PDT 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: Jay Rudin <rudin at ev1.net>

Speaking as a traditionalist, I'd much rather go back to the Ansteorran
tradition, but this kind of question should be hashed out to find an answer
we're all comfortable with.  (I did not say an answer that we all agree is
best -- we are strongly opinionated people; we will never all agree.).
Please understand that looking to the Queen for inspiration does *not* mean
that the kings will ignore us, any more than the kings ignore the fencers or
the queens ignore the chivalric fighters.  It merely gives us a specific
patron.

I would rather avoid identifying a point of inspiration for the college to any one individual.  I would rather identify our inspiration as being Ansteorra.  Ansteorra is the Crown *and* the People.  While rapier fighters have the Queen's Champion and heavy fighters have the King's Champion, which tend to demonstrate the source of inspiration for those two groups, Bards have the Premier (or Kingdom) Bard, A&S has the Royal (or Kingdom) Artisan, Archers have the Royal Huntsman.  None of these have a comparable counterpart with which to give equal association to the King and Queen.  By comparison, the East Kingdom does in fact have a King's Bard and a Queen's Bard.

Alden