[Bards] new to the list do not shoot the question asker

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Mon Oct 30 12:00:38 PST 2006

Lady Gwendolyn,

Well met!  I think that I am not alone in saying when it comes to bards
(or minstrels or jongeleurs or whatever term the individual prefers), the
more the merrier.

Most bards start out doing other people's material, whether it is Period,
Period-style, filk or modern, so don't feel that you are alone or unusual
in that respect.

There ARE competitions that ask for original pieces, but the majority of
competitions that I have particiated in or witnessed haven't had that
rerquirement.  Much more important for most competitions, in my opinion,
is to have a diverse repertoire that covers a range of subjects (love,
honor, courtship, war, humor, history, etc.), and more than one style.  If
you are primarily a singer, it helps to learn at least one or two poems
and short tales, or if a storyteller or poet, a few songs.  I find that
practicing poetry and story telling also helps me improve my performance
as a singer, in adding emotions, expressions and gestures.

Some of the more common restrictions in bardic competitions are for the
entries to be Period, Period-style, or about the SCA.  Some competitions
allow filks, others do not.

Most competitions will have requirements published before the event, so
you can check to see if original pieces are a necessity.  If not, then
polish up your best/favorite songs/stories/poems, and have fun.

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain
--
Nunc est bibendum.