[Bards] in response to Esther

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 31 11:45:44 PST 2006

People have their own take on the issue of holding multiple championships at a given time, as do the landed nobility.  I have yet to see a conflict of interest arise between two branches within the same kingdom, though I suppose "friendly wagers" could come into being - how cool would that be!?[1]

Personally, the only limitation I put on myself is in regards to baronies, where if I am a baronial champion, I will consult that B&B(s) of the current branch(es) I represent, and the B&B of the championship I intend to compete in, and clear it with all parties that they would accept my representing those branches.  This approach allows me to be courteous and honor my patron(s), and I have yet had a B&B respond in the negative.  In fact, when I was Bard of Loch Soilleir, Baron William would have had me represent the barony by going out and winning as many bardic championships as I could enter! LOL  But each time I did, I consulted him and Baroness Katya.

[1] I mean really, when has a champion (especially bardic) been called upon by their patron to do something specific?  About the most common use of a champion is to "take the field at Gulf War", and to organize next year's championship.  I think more B&Bs should challenge their landed neighbors to contests of champions. :)

Alden