[Bards] Youth Bardic?

Emily Minier Emily.Minier at DTAG.Com
Wed Apr 18 06:17:01 PDT 2007

In Northkeep, we have a Youth Bardic Champion chosen at our Castellan
event.  We've even had some youth compete in adult bardic comps up here
as well.  It's a great thing to see, a child with enough strength of
person to stand up before a hall of adults and belt out his best piece.
I've never seen them not receive the utmost respect and praise for their
attempts.

I do agree that more could be done to encourage youth bardic.  It's not
just the High Schoolers that have a hard time staying occupied.  My
experience has been that pretty much any youth that is "too old" for
children's activities, but too young for "adult" activities has a
difficult time finding safe, "society-involved" activities.

Quill, thank you so much for bringing this up.  I'm definitely going to
put some thought into this and see if I can get my household involved to
see if there's something we can do about this.

YIS,
Lady Nyx

________________________________

	From: bards-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:bards-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Alden Drake
	Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 9:38 PM
	To: Ansteorran Bardic list
	Subject: Re: [Bards] Youth Bardic?

	I have a bardic student, who is still a minor, and I encourage
her to learn pieces that are appropriate for her age and maturity.  If I
ever question if a piece is appropriate for her, I will consult her
mother.  She (my student) also happens to currently be the Youth Bardic
Champion of Bordermarch.

	At least around the Stargate area, the circles I attend are
generally mindful of young ears in the audience, and will reserve the
more colorful pieces until they have gone to bed.  I'm pretty well known
for some bawdy songs, and reserve said songs for my "Alden After Dark"
set.  I usually reserve these until pretty late (10p-12a), depending on
who is in the audience.  I've found that most of the parents who stay at
circles late with their kids have no objection to colorful pieces.  The
same generally holds true for parents, who know me, who let their kids
stay late at circles without their supervision.  If I see kids at a
circle I don't know, or whose parents I don't know, I'll hold off on
singing the bawdy stuff.  A bard should always be mindful of their
audience.  We are after all in the business of entertaining them, not
just ourselves.  In the early hours of the circles, when kids are
present, we are usually pretty good to encourage the kids to participate
as well.  You want to talk about appropriate songs...you should hear 2-3
little boys sing "Beer Beer Beer (Charlie Mopps)".  I believe my
response was, "Alrighty then!" heh

	As far as other youth bardic venues goes, I've seen bardic
classes taught in the past.  Hey!  Anyone want to teach some at Westgate
Winter Collegium on August 4? (shameless plug and appeal to teachers)
I've also seen MoCs ask bards to come do bardic stuff for childrens'
activities at events - those usually go over very well.

	Alden