[Bards] Situations That Ruin Bardic Circles

Esther reese_esther at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 29 23:37:28 PDT 2007

Like I said, it's about skill. It's also about interest, courtesy, and knowing your audience, matching the piece to the situation and mood of the crowd.

  So, it's down to good bards and bad bards, and at the end of the day -- how do you deal with that? Any length of story badly told is deadly, as deadly as me trying to sing would be.

  And I agree with you, someone reading badly is a killer. BUT, reading aloud is as period a  bardic skill as any, and when done by someone who is skilled at it, and who has practiced, is damned entertaining.

  Bad bards and an uninterested audience will kill any bardic circle, no matter HOW well organized. It's really, really hard to pick up an audience who has just endured a bad performance, and almost impossible to do so after two in a row. So unless you have a known show-starter up your sleeve....

  Yeah, I have a headache, I am being unduly pessimistic and old arthritis auntie misery by the fire.

  Esther

Gerald Norris <jerryn at houston.rr.com> wrote:
      See my reply before your reply, Esther.

  It oft depends upon the skill of the teller or poet.  Finnagen had us enthralled with his story of the guardian of the keep.  There is a merchant who does a wonderfully entertaining job of telling of a time he taught latin to foreign troops.  Both of these were at least ten minutes long.  Thomas and Cedric's piece was almost a half hour, but it flew by due to the setting and the weather, which really made you feel as if you were in a long hut, and the skald spoke with the tongue of the elders.

  Longer pieces are period, but if their recited as one would hear from a grade-schooler with Mary Had a Little Lamb, it's painful to watch.  Master Kief has no trouble with keeping an audience for a long story, but he is masterful in his telling of a tale, and his use of voice and words to draw his audience in.  I have seen the opposite, where someone drags a book and reads by halting firelight for fifteen minutes, and ready to go another fifteen to the end of the pages if not for a quick interjection.  These I would avoid at all cost, and have only occasionally had to interrupt one fellow and request that he finish his tale on the next round.  He wasn't happy, and left, but the energy level of the group was quick to rise back to a level of cameradery rather than comisseration.

    In service to the dream with a song in my heart, I am,
HL Gerald of Leesville
A bard of Stargate