[Bards] Situations That Ruin Bardic Circles

T'Star bedlamandmayhem at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 08:19:01 PDT 2007

While I agree with the intent of many of these 'rules' for a bardic
circle... frankly having a highly regimented circle to start with does
much to destroy the reasons I go.  A bardic circle is a gathering
where people go to enjoy a performance and not just their own.  And
the structuring that is being suggested sounds like the rules for the
competitions I hear about, prepare for, and participate in (when life
does not intervene, usually with no notice.)   A circle should be
/less/ formal than a competition.  If there is a

I also must add cautions about sing alongs.  They can drive people out
as fast as they can bring them in.  ESPECIALLY if they are started at
a poorly chosen range.  I've stopped singing with my own home group in
sing alongs because they NEVER get out of alto range and I am a high
soprano.  Every time I transpose up I get sat on, even if there IS a
fifth up part that I'm singing along with.  It's gotten to the point
where it is not worth it for me to try.  At the moment if a group is
predominantly sing a longs I won't join.  I don't ask for much from a
sing a long.  Just the oportunity to actually sing with the group
without getting squashed for going up an octave because I'm a high
soprano NOT an alto and my voice does not extend far into the bass
clef.  When you have a bardic circle you're probably going to have a
wide variety of vocal ranges.  Pick something central or familiar that
can easily be taken up or down to suit the ranges of the participants,
or you've just basically told a section of your circle they're not
important enough to work with.

~Svetlana Andreivna Volkova