[Bards] Situations That Ruin Bardic Circles

barrett1 at cox.net barrett1 at cox.net
Mon Apr 30 14:24:26 PDT 2007

"Also, period story telling
> was typically done in verse.  We have been trying to find evidence of
> "no-kidding-there-I-was" stories in period but have failed to do so."

Quick comment to clarify. A large number of existing stories from multiple cultures in Medieval Europe and the Middle East were not recorded or reported to have been performed in verse, even in cultures that regarded poetry as a noble craft.
Storytelling was not typically done in verse, poetry was. If a story is written and performed in verse, it's a poem.The distinction is poetry was often used to convey a dramatic narrative as often as pure storytelling. Beowulf and the song of Roland are poetry, any way you slice it. A filidh is a filidh (poet) and a seanachie is a seanachie (storyteller).

 Oh, and there certainly are tales of "no-kidding-there-I-was", but they use different phrases, like "So now do I, Maynard of the faithful Dominican brethren, relate to you the reports of wonder from a certain small hamlet in the west country were I was but only recently called upon to assist the local abbey in matters concerning binding and preservation. It seems that a local man had eaten an apple which had fallen into the footprint of a wolf..."

On the timing issue, I agree with Kenneth.

~Finnacan