[Bards] Eisteddfod as a stand alone event -- was Apologies

Cynthia Rogers wolfpaws at mac.com
Mon Dec 17 07:50:39 PST 2007

What you describe sounds like a lot of fun. And you bring up the two
practical points that must be negotiated--
We need an inexpensive site (so the gate can be lower and the host
group doesn't take a bath),
and we need to think about the impact of a camping event in winter on
the performers vocal chords, and the impact of the weather on the
number of people who come-- since to have a good crowd, we would be
relying on the bards from the four corners of the kingdom to drive to
it.

Having said that-- let me share my own secret fantasy--
Musicians, jongleurs, performers of all ilk used to be bumped out of
a job during Lent each year in the high Middle Ages. No weddings, no
fairs, no music in church-- no paying gigs. So they would gather in
specific towns to "winter-over" (somewhat like circuses do).  They
would use the time to swap songs, practice new skills, learn the news
from the other performers, and try to stay warm.

I've always thought that might make a fun themed event. (Although, I
always imagined it paired up with an industrial kitchen and people
doing hands-on cooking classes as well. But that's probably just the
smell of fresh baked bread in the hall.)

Best,
Rhiannon