[Bards] Eisteddfod as a stand alone event -- was Apologies

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Mon Dec 17 11:28:36 PST 2007

Eisteddfod as a stand-alone event works quite well.  In 1983, Harald Bodvarsson won such a competition.  We also held it that way in 1986 (Roselynde), 1988 (Caitrin) 1989 (Robin), 1990 (Cadfan). 1993 (Margery), 1995 (Finnican), 1997 (Galen), and several earlier ones that I can't remember off the top of my head.

But we no longer have the tool that actually produced these events.  The College of Bards was an organized group that could make things happen -- and we had the authority to set up the event.  If this discussion were happening at a College meeting, we'd already have a couple of volunteer event stewards pledged to go talk to their branches, and probably have committtes set up to organize advertising, decorations, feast, etc.

But the kingdom calendar mess and the kingdom laws about bids for kingdom events make people far less willing to schedule new events.  The lead time is far worse than it used to be, and the rules are far less inviting.  Remember, we can't just decide to do it.  We can only decide to produce a bid for the kingdom to accept or reject.

If we produce a good bid, that the kingdom believes will make money (or at least not lose any) then we'll get the bid; I'm not worried about that.  But we have to remember that step in the process.

We can't get a site, a date, a plan, and an event up in a few months time any more.  Back in 1990, due to problems in the branch originally scheduled to do it, the Steppes had to produce a Kingdom Warlord in six weeks.  The Kingdom Seneschal called us at baronial meeting to ask, and in twenty minutes we had an autocrat, a site committee, a feast committee, and they were all working on it right then.  We pulled it off in six weeks.  But now it takes most of a year.  To do this requires our commitment -- now.

Ihon -- it's your baby.  Will you commit *now* to producing a stand-alone Eisteddfod?  I don't recommend that you become the event steward -- you'll be busy all day.  But you're in charge of finding a steward, and (maybe) of organizing the start of the process.

The weekend of November 21-23 (between Bordermarch Melees and Thanksgiving) is open at present, as is February 27-March 1, 2009 (the last weekend before Gulf War).  I don't recommend January, which already has three kingdom-level events.  The last weekend in March and the first weekend in April are open.  This would be much better weather -- but be wary.  Crown is not yet scheduled.  Eisteddfod can be scheduled on top of other events, but it's kinder to schedule the kingdom one first, and then local groups can choose to conflict with us.  That's one reason that we are in a race to get scheduled.

But the decisions are upon us.  Scheduling a kingdom event a year in advance is already pushing.  If we wait much longer we'll be putting it on top of other people's plans -- which is what we're trying to get away from.

What do we need to do?  I think:

1. Start *now*.  Plan the event enough to know what weather is acceptable, and what sites will work.  Decide on a set of acceptable dates.  Pick a coordinator -- *not* an event steward (not until we know where it will be held).

2. Then some people volunteer to look for sites that will work, open on acceptable weekends, near a branch willing to take part.  (We needs locals to do a lot of the work.).  Make a *quick* decision, and get on the calendar.  Get an official event steward.

3. Write up a bid, and send it to the kingdom.  Wait for their acceptance.  (The wait won't be too onerous, if we have a well-developed and reasonable budget.  But the rules for finances must be carefully observed, so we have to plan for a delay at this point.)

4. Start passing out the assignments.  Decorations, feast, scheduling, etc.  At that point, we treat it like any other event, except that the bards -- all over the kingdom -- need to take ownership of it.  Whereever we are in the process, I suggest that we try to have event meetings at Twelfth Night, Coronation and/or Red Tape.  This list is a wonderful tool, but not all bards are on it, and there are a lot of non-bards who might want to be involved.

We can do it.  We *cannot* talk about it for three months and then try to do it.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin