[Bards] Kingdom Eisteddfod report

Emily Minier Emily.Minier at DTAG.Com
Tue Dec 18 08:36:22 PST 2007

Power has been restored to my mother's home where we will be staying
until our house is warm and lit again.

-----Original Message-----
From: bards-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:bards-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Jay Rudin
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2007 12:19 PM
To: Ansteorran Bardic list
Subject: [Bards] Kingdom Eisteddfod report

Nine bards braved the cold and the wet at Dragonsfire Tor (" ... the
cold
and wet of dragon's fire?"  "Work with me here.") to enter the Kingdom
Eisteddfod in their quest to be Premier Bard of Ansteorra.  We enjoyed
the
typical Finnican Eisteddfod.  (Both the ones he won were outdoors, and
extremely cold and wet.  I would speculate that he's winning when the
intelligent people stayed home in the warm, except for the inconvenient
fact that I entered both of them as well.)

I would like to give especial thanks to our King ,Queen, Prince and
Princess, all of whom attended and lent their dignity and patronage to
the
occasion.  While Queen Ebergardis devoted her attentions to the main
hall
and our hosts of the Tor, King Ulsted and Princess Vanessa watched most
most of the competition, and Prince Aaron helped judge it, along with
the
Honorable Lord Antigonus and Master Finnican.

Each performer was expected to present his or her best piece, and then
drew
an emotion from a box, which their second piece needed to encompass.

Master Ihon impressed us with a beautifully crafted presentation of a
poem
by John Skelton.  It amazes me that anybody can make Skeltonic verse
sound
normal.  He drew "classic", and offered the judges a choice of classic
medieval, classic Ansteorran, or classic Current Middle Ages.  They
chose
the latter, and he sang Ioseph of Locksley's "Once Upon a Time".

Adelina, in her first Kingdom Eisteddfod and second bardic competition
ever, gave a compelling rendition of Darius's "Just One Time".  She drew

"violent", and told a stirring tale of the Bridge Battle at Gulf War
(which
she has never attended).

Lady Nix told a Nordic alliterative piece, called "Ansteorra Still
Stands".
The audience was pulled into at the same time into both the alliterative

structuire and the Ansteorran heart.  She drew the adjective "silly",
and
sang a song about ... er, well, ... that told the tale of ... ummm....
Well, let's just say that she successfully met the challenge of
presenting
us with something silly.

HL Mea gave us a beautiful piece in Italian, which (we were told) was
titled "I Give No More False Hope to Love".  She carried amotion and
beauty
through her voice alone, though most of us knew not the words.  She then

sang "Johnny be Fair" and made us laugh, as her response to "satirical".

HL Maggie told us the Chinese Legend of Mulan, in a style I didn't
recognize but that worked and held our attention well.  How well?  I
never
once thought about the Disney movie.  She drew the adjective "creepy",
and
I was unfortunately called away and heard only bits of the rest of the
second round.  (I guess I drew the adjective "frustrated".)

Lady Bella sang a lovely song, sufficiently compelling that I have no
notes
on it.  But I have a very strong memory of the repeated line "And none
knew
she loved him but herself and God."

Then Lucas ripped our hearts out with a tale about a water-bearer.
Really.
Ask him for it sometime.  Bring a hankie.

Bring two.

Rosia, who I don't know well, sang a wonderfully poignant war song --
"I'll
have the honor of a warrior's death."  Then she drew "romantic" and sang

about the same situation from the lady's viewpoint.

Baron Donnchad ... ummm Duncan ... no, that is, ah, wait, I can spell
this
...  Donchhadd... I mean, er, ....  (I'll come in again.)

The Baron of Namron sang Ivar's "Raised as a Warrior", pulling us at
once
into the mind of a medieval warrior and into the early days of
Ansteorran
bardcraft.  (Ivar was one of the first two to receive a Sable Thistle
for
performing arts.)

When everyone had done their two pieces, three bards were invited into
the
final round to praise our generous hosts.  Nix, Mea and Ihon each gave
their praise of the Tor.  Ihon was chosen the winner, with his tale of a

land scorched by dragon's fire, and then rising above by the nobility
and
generosity of its people.  I hope that all bards who had pieces ready
will
send them to the Tor for use in their newsletter or website.  (Their
chronicler is HL Nicolaea MacFionndlaigh: darwinexcel at yahoo.com.  This
is a
public service announcement.)

In court, Master Ihon was presented with the insignia (no, not regalia)
of
the Premier Bard of Ansteorra, including the traditional cloak made by
the
ladies of Elfsea in the 1980s (in a project spearheaded by Baroness
Maggie)
and a beautiful new cloak made for this occasion by HL Rixende de Rouen.

All bards, please be sure to thank her for the lovely new cloak
(rixende at gmail.com).

I really enjoyed the competition.  Thanks to all who attended and
listened,
and especial thanks to Dragonsfire Tor, whose traditional Yule revel we
descended on.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin