[Bards] Performing in court

Katherine of Scarborough katofscarborough at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 19:24:14 PST 2007

This is a question--well, a series of
questions--particularly for the veteran bards and
entertainers out there, but open to anyone who has
advice to offer.

Do you have any tips on what one should do when asked
to keep the populace entertained before court?
Entertain, obviously--but how best to go about it?
Let us assume the prerequisite of being prepared and
more or less capable. <grin>

Do you generally remain where you are, or move to
front and center?  Do you announce yourself, or just
launch right into your performance?  If an
interruption occurs, do you bow out or try harder to
hold the audience's attention?  How best do you walk
the thin line between doing what has been asked of
you, and inflicting yourself on a captive audience
that may not be entirely interested?  Is it simply the
job of a good bard to make sure they *are* interested?

I'm not asking for specific answers to that whole
barrage of questions, but it's dawned on me that I
don't even know how much I don't know.  I had my first
experience with court performance last weekend, and
I'd like to be better prepared next time.  Any
thoughts from those wiser and more seasoned than
myself would be very much appreciated.

In service,
Catrin ferch Maelgwn