[Bards] Sorry to ask

Melody Soice melodysoice at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 26 17:01:43 PDT 2007

Not to add to your misery but, coming from a family of mechanics, we believe in acting pre-emtively in certain areas.  Unless you have less than 40k on it, you might as well change the water pump and make certain you have gotten all of the hoses and belts while you've got things apart.  If you're over 60k, you might have the timing belt changed or 100k if its a timing chain (google your make and model to find out).  If you do that, you are probably looking at least another 40k without any major engine trouble.On the flip side, you mention that the transmission is sluggish.  Have you had the transmission flushed regularly?  If not, you may be nearing the (premature) end of your transmission and you may wish to weigh the cost of all the repairs you may be looking at versus the car's worth as a trade-in.Good luck.Melody McGregor> From: silverhands at sbcglobal.net> Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:45:01 -0500> To: bards at lists.ansteorra.org> Subject: Re: [Bards] Sorry to ask> > > On Jul 25, 2007, at 11:06 PM, Marlin and Amanda Stout wrote:> > > Amber Cook wrote:> >> >> My dragon needs to go to a forin doctor I thought that maybe  > >> somone who> >> reads this might know of a reasonabley priced trust worthy doc of  > >> foren> >> dragons> >> the things I need to fix are as fallows> >>> >> Basic tune up -> >> raidiator leak needs to be found and fixed> >> transmition is sluggish> >>> >>> > Look on the AAA Texas web site, they have a link for their recommended> > repair shops. If the shop is recognized by AAA they will be competent> > and won't rip you off. Which is not to say that the work won't cost a> > few $$, just that what you get will likely be worth the cost.> >> > And the radiator leak might not be fixable, it depends on where the  > > leak> > is. I had a Subaru that spent most of it's life on the Carolina coast> > and the salt and humidity corroded the radiator. I ended up having to> > get it replaced, it was irreparable. A good auto tech should be  > > able to> > tell you if yours can be patched or not as part of the diagnostic  > > work.> > If he doesn't address the question, ask. If he dodges, go somewhere  > > else.> >> > Charles,> > BG> > Amber, another thing to consider is that radiators have changed since  > some of us were young. It used to be that radiators were all metal,  > and could be repaired (soldered/welded) if they had a leak. Now they  > have a plastic core as often as not, and cannot be repaired; just  > replaced. Just something to be aware of; fore-warned is fore-armed.> > Also, the tune-up shouldn't be any big deal; any tune-up shop should  > be able to handle it. But the transmission...? That is something you  > only want a competent, fair mechanic to touch. Charles gives good  > advice on how to find one, assuming that you don't get a personal  > recommendation from someone.> > Where do you live (what city)?> > Kind regards,> Michael> _______________________________________________> Bards mailing list> Bards at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/bards-ansteorra.org