[Bards] Dragon vs. Carriage (was Sorry to ask)

Marlin and Amanda Stout ldcharles at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 27 12:13:03 PDT 2007

Michael Silverhands wrote:

>For example, some folks say "smalls" (which in period meant
>"underwear") when "children" is a perfectly period term. "Has anyone
>seen my smalls? They've gone missing!" <- takes on an entirely
>different meaning, eh?

Actually, we had this discussion on the Bryn Gwlad list just this week,
and someone put up the following link:

http://slumberland.org/sca/articles/smalls.html

It's a pretty good refutation of the argument. Up to you to figure how
'right' it seems to you.

>Likewise "dragon" instead of "car", "wagon" or "carriage"? It makes
>me feel like I've accidentally wandered into a fantasy convention
>instead of a group of historical re-enactors.

On this point, however, I fully agree. I do not travel to events in a
dragon, since if such a creature existed travelling inside it would be
fatally unhealthy. I have a rather nice wagon, however, that (barely)
fits my family of four and all our camping/fighting stuff.

Even worse, IMO, are all the ( )-crat titles used at events. Here in BG
we've been trying to use more period alternatives for them, for example:

Steward- the poor sucker in charge of the event
Cook- the poor sucker cooking for 200+ people
Head Server- the poor sucker in charge of delivering food to 200+ people
Gate- the place where you enter the event and pay your fee. Also the
people who work there
Gate Steward- the poor sucker in charge of Gate
Gong Farmer- the (really) poor sucker in charge of the loos and other
sanitation issues

Other activities like setup, cleanup, transition, etc, are simply
referred to by their job- such as "See Ld. Fred, he's in charge of
Transition" No 'crat' about it.

I could even see an argument for naming Gate at a large event like Gulf
War the Customs House, since it's the place where people from foreign
nations get their 'passports' into your Kingdom.

Charles,
BG