[Bards] jesters

T'Star bedlamandmayhem at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 06:43:21 PDT 2007

I'll see what I can find on Russian jesters.  I know the /concept/
exists from all the tales of "Ivan Durachok" which translates to "Ivan
the Fool."  Typically about an overt bumbler who either makes a very
good point to someone without (apparently) realizing he's done it or
comes out on top of an impossible situation seemingly on sheer luck.
The Russians were very big on entertainment (very long, very cold
winters make people desperate for any kind of entertainment they can
get!) and satire and subtlety are common, so it seems likely that
jesters would exist in some form.  I haven't found reference directly
to actual jesters yet, but some of the stories/legends seem to fill
that role.  I will report back when/if I find more.

~Svetlana