[Bards] Song Books

Cynthia Rogers wolfpaws at mac.com
Tue Jun 5 11:47:24 PDT 2007

Ivo,

Interpretation of copyright law shifts every few years, so a hard and
fast answer is difficult.

In general, individuals and record companies do not sue people who
print off copies of lyrics for personal use, that were posted on the
web. Instead, they bring action against the owner of the domain name
where the lyrics were posted. (And even that usually amounts to them
just making the owner take it down-- unless the owner of the domain
was selling advertising, or deriving an income from the site somehow,
in which case, they want to be paid royalties for use of the songs.)

However-- though I used to keep up with copyright in my profession,
I've swapped fields-- so that's how it was 5 years ago. The trend has
been for the interpretation of the law to become more and more
conservative. (Long ago, there was a very generous "fair use"
interpretation that covered most of all this. But that is completely
and utterly gone now.)

So... if it were me, I'd print anything I found, stick it in a three
ring binder, use it for my own personal ho hos, and know that I
should never ever sell it, or distribute it widely without getting
permission from all the authors.

Best,
Rhiannon