[Bards] Song Books

Ken Theriot kentheriot at ravenboymusic.com
Tue Jun 5 21:31:40 PDT 2007

There are some serious copyright problems with this book, and any
reproduction and/or distribution of it is not legal.  I actually administer
at least one copyright in this collection (Burden of the Crown.Raven Boy
Music is the publisher), and was never asked for permission to print the
lyrics.  I don't know what version of the recording was used on these tapes,
but if it is Baldwin's from his CD "Welcome to the Current Middle Ages,"
then that is an additional violation since we were not asked permission.
Now I'm certainly not saying that I wouldn't grant permission.  But nobody
has even asked.  I can't say for sure whether permission was granted for the
Archie Fisher and Stan Rogers songs and other songs under active copyright
(Mercedes Lackey, Silly Wizard, etc.).  But if not, those are further
violations.  Are you in violation if you download this book?  Probably not.
But if you make copies and give them away (yes, even if it is NOT for
profit), then you have crossed the line.  The administrators of this site
are most certainly in violation of copyright law, as are the people who made
and distributed the tapes.

Before we advertise and distribute this book, much work needs to be done to
make it legal.

Kenneth

  _____