[Bards] What's in a Name? (was: Modern Day Minstrels)

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Mon Jun 11 14:46:44 PDT 2007

Your Grace,

We all know that in general Scadian terms, any vocal performer tends to be
referred to as a bard, but I agree that there are important differences
between a bard, a minstrel, a skald, a seneschie, and any of the other
terms used for vocal performers during the Medieval period.

I think of myself as an Irish bard, albeit a minor one, in that I compose,
sing, play an instrument, recite poetry, tell stories, and try to be
knowledgable of our Kingdom's history (still working on learning more) and
current events.

Some might view me as more of a minstrel, as my primary purpose is to
entertain, but I do like to sneak some history and some teaching in from
time to time as well.

Padraig
--
Nunc est bibendum.
******************

willowjonbardc at juno.com wrote:
> Padraig...
>
> this is willow and I have a question to you and your fellow
> minstrels. What makes a minstrel different from a Bard, or Skald or a
senehaie??  I am asking this question to show people that
> the "bardic" community is actually full of people with different
viewpoint and it is OK to have a different concept. I am trying to stress
the "SCA Bard" can actually cover many different things.

> If any of you think of yourself as a Bard or a Scop or a Skald and you
have definite ideas of what this is please describe it.

> I am a Scottish Senechie. It is my job to 1 entertain, 2. keep the
history alive. 3 Keep people informed as to what is happening--a news
reporter   4. Share the wisdom of the age. 5 teach