[Bards] "Vivat Ghastly Malapropism!"

Peter Schorn peterschorn at pdq.net
Tue Jun 12 18:19:59 PDT 2007

> As a voice herald, if I were to try to correct any specific court
> usage in Ansteorra, it would be to get rid of the
> occasionally-heard two-language form "Vivat King!  Vivat Queen!"

Seconded.  Oh dear God, seconded.

> Nobody in period, or even in England today, would ever say that.  It's
> just an illiterate mistake, which says, in effect, "This isn't real.
> We're re-enacting something we do not understand".

Oh, boy, do I ever agree!  In fact, I'll go further; I...

...no...

..no, I must not...

...I must not snark.
Snark is the thread-killer.
Snark is the little-flame that brings total immolation.
I will face my snark.
I will permit it to pass over me and through my "Del" key.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the snark has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Unless of course it's a boojum...

--from "The Bene Anthejets Litany Against Snark," copyright Herbert George.