[Bards] Ansteorran History and trival

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Thu Jun 14 20:45:41 PDT 2007

Two facts you must keep in mind when discussing the pronunciation of Latin in our period.

1. Nobody you have ever met has ever heard a medieval person speaking Latin.
2.Over the entire European continent, over the course of sixteen centuries from the height of Rome until the end of the Renaissance, there were many, many ways that Latin was pronounced.  (Roughly how many ways is English pronounced today?)

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin
  Some twenty+ years ago at BYU we were taught to pronounce the Vs as Ws and our instructors made a very good case for that pronounciation as being the ancient pronounciation.  I just wish I could remember what that case was.  Old age--ACK!

  Melody