[Bards] bowing to the thrones

Esther reese_esther at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 11:22:48 PDT 2007

For what it is worth, this is the tradition in An Tir and in Caid as well. The thrones represent the idea of the King and Queen, and it is the idea that people who sit there embody.

  I always liked that inside the crowns of Caid, where only those who handle and wear them can really see it, it says, "You rule, because they believe", or words to that effect.

  Esther

"willowjonbardc at juno.com" <willowjonbardc at juno.com> wrote:
  I came across this and thought you all might find it interesting. Do
any of you have Yang tape with the song on it . Mine died.
willow

Bowing to the Empty Thrones
“When did we start bowing to the royal presence in the form of the
empty thrones? Why?”

“My earliest recollection of saluting the empty thrones was during
one of Henrik's early reigns (the third or fourth) when he preferred
to be riding a horse to sitting on the throne. When the fighters
complained that it was hard to locate him to salute at the beginning
of each fight, he placed the crown on the throne and told them to
salute that ... he was going riding. The populace semi-mockingly got
into the spirit of the ruse - bowing/curtseying if they happened to
pass in front of "The Royal Presence". The fiction was so useful that
it quickly became custom then formally part of the pre-combat litany
shortly thereafter.” – Kevin Peregrynne

“Of course, there is also a Horde song called "The Empty Throne" as
I'm sure you are aware. But your original question was "bowing to the
royal presence" (ie the throne, when passing in front of the royal
pavilion, whether or not saluting prior to a fight) as opposed to
saluting per se. I think that started to happen almost as soon as we
had Kings on the thrones; I'm pretty sure it was institutionalized by
about AS III.” – Siegfried von Hoflichskeit