[Bards] discouraging individuals

Jessica Smith jasiwolf at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 16:14:46 PDT 2007

Bravo Your Grace!
As a 25 yr old and younger (just turned 21 last Sunday - wootness for legal
drinking!) I have something to report.
I have seen in the last couple of months several of you big hats - you know
the pointy hatted people.......hee hee those that have been crown and are
still active and are looking around and wondering why they haven't met many
new people in awhile - say to those of us that are new - how do we get more
of you here? I am asked my opinion and I voice it gladly and I enjoy
bouncing ideas off people my age and older on a regular basis. This is what
needs to be done. We are discussing - and that is the first step.
You are a hundred percent correct that as a group the sca does need to work
on communication. I think that we naturally are more introverted thinkers -
or we are busy- or absent minded.... whatever.  A smile - and a direction to
someone who would be able to help the person find their niche. Arranging a
specific time to sit down and talk again. INTRODUCING NEW YOUNG PEOPLE TO
EVERYONE! these are the things that got me as active as i am - and that keep
me active. Help getting to events - big events or small. I wouldn't have
thought to work on my Warrior Bard book if Miguel and Conal hadn't invited
me to go to Gulf War with them - and without their support (and others) in
my little pet project i probably wouldn't have ever gotten to the point of
asking for songs. (excuse the plug and send me songs! hee hee)
We need to shake up the demos- BARDS! get out there and do a demo - fighters
or no! The Sca is largely about fighting - its like the main bit of the
show. But the people who serve, the people who do the music and lighting and
choreography are important as well and we need more of them! You would think
it would be easier to go to a college  - sit in the common areas and sing
songs - tell stories. It is after all.........what you do best. (and not
half the insurance issue you'd think)
We need to make sure that people showing up at events learn who we are. I
mean - "Weird people in neat looking clothes and acting goofy" doesn't bring
people back. Its Lord so and so or Lady giggles lots or Pointy Hat of
somewhere in Dallas. Introduce yourself - and introduce people you meet to
others. Its the people who make the sca - who live the dream - that make the
dream for others.
Just my two cents before running off to work!
Yours,
Adelina of the Steppes