[Bards] Broadside Ballads recital at UTA Thursday April 5th 7:30pm

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Mon Mar 26 14:17:08 PDT 2007

Mistress Serena has asked me to forward this.  I know we've already seen the
bare announcemment, but this might contain some more information
____________________

My professor at UTA set this up in conjunction with her undergraduate
and graduate Tudor-Stuart England history classes this semester.  She
thought that SCA folk would be interested as well, and asked me to
forward this information.  (Flyer info after my signature line)

This is a *great* opportunity for anyone interested in Renaissance
popular music.  Please forward this to anyone you think might be
interested, especially the DFW-area lists.

--Serena Lascelles
____________

Broadside Ballads:  a lecture & recital by Lucie Skeaping

Thursday, April 5, 2007 at 7:30 p.m.

Irons Recital Hall, University of Texas at Arlington

free to the university and the public

Comical, political, scandalous, or just plain lewd, broadside ballads
were both the popular songs and the tabloid press of England in the
16th and 17th centuries. Combining music, history, and images, this
presentation features musical examples and explores the context in
which broadside ballads were written and sold.

Musician, writer, and broadcaster Lucie Skeaping hosts BBC Radio 3's
"Early Music Show." Along with her performances on CDs, Lucie can be
heard on television and film soundtracks such as Simon Schama's *The
History of Britain*, and *The Pianist*.

For more information, please email cawthon2 at uta.edu.
Also, see www.lucieskeaping.co.uk.

The program is sponsored by the UTA College of Liberal Arts and the
History Department.