[Bards] What can we do to make things better

Ken Theriot kentheriot at ravenboymusic.com
Tue May 1 07:21:28 PDT 2007

Amen Ivo!

There most certainly ARE bad bards, but as you say, the unredeemable ones
are rare.  Willow is right in that many of them can be turned into good
bards with the right guidance.  This guidance might have to be "don't sing
anymore."  I still like the category of bad bards I put forth.  In the first
category are the people who can't sing (literally there is no hope for these
people to LEARN how to sing.  If you're tone deaf, you're tone deaf!).  I'm
not saying these people can't be good bards, but they will never be good
singers.  They need to stick to stories and poems.  People in my second
category (BB#2?:)), those who write or choose bad material, can become good
bards with proper guidance in how to write and avoid the crap.  Category 3,
those who engage in bad behavior, may also be redeemable if they can be made
to see the error of their ways.  But some of these will not ever wake up to
the fact that it is not OK to jump turns in a Bardic Circle, or take up more
than your fair share of airtime, talk during other performances, get up and
leave during other performances, or get drunk and ruin the atmosphere with
their antics.

We (Mistress Adelaide and I) have been hosting a monthly bardic workshop
(The Bjornsborg "Bardic Night") at our house every month for more than 3
years.  This is where we try to teach the things I mention above.  If
someone can't sing, we hand them a book to read from (though they always
have the option of passing).  We want ANYONE to feel they can perform if
they wish.  As long as people are aware of (and adhere to) the "rules,"
literally anyone can perform something as a bard.  BTW, in all the time
we've held Bardic Night, we've never had a single night where somebody
didn't attend.  I believe this is the way to lure the timid in and show them
it is OK to perform, as long as they understand good performing from bad
performing.

There is one benefit of bad bards though!!!  One of our regular Bardic Night
attendees had a self-confidence issue.  He performs Shakespeare recitations
AND can sing, but he is a bit afraid.  When he went to his second REAL
bardic circle at an event, and saw how many bad bards were there, and he
said "wow, I'm better than they are!!"  And his confidence took a huge leap
forward!  So I guess everyone can have value;), even bad bards.

Kenneth