[Bards] What can we do to make things better

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Tue May 1 09:33:38 PDT 2007

Cormac wrote:

> Bad bards can be helped, but first they have to recognize they are bad at
> what they are doing and then they have to be willing to accept help. Too
> many just become beligerant, no matter how gentle you try to be.

Exactly.  The essential traits of a bad bard are poor judgment and esthetic sense.  Why would such a person have the good judgement to listen, or the esthetic sense to understand why your advice would improve their performance?

But it's important not to confuse such a person with the much larger categories of
"unleaned bard", who is somebody with some esthetic sense and judgment, but not enough (or wrong) information about the audience, the venue, or what makes a good piece, or
"untrained bard", who is somebody who has not yet learned the technical aspects of plotting, rhyme, meter, music, etc.

These people are the great new bards of next year, *IF* they get support and help this year.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin