[Bards] the Rules-well sort of.

barrett1 at cox.net barrett1 at cox.net
Tue May 1 10:15:14 PDT 2007

Um, I think this may be a bit off track.
I also have alarm bells when I see terms like "Standards". Even "Code" is little much in my opinion (Well, Cap'n, we figured they was more like...guidelines).

When it comes to Bad Bard syndrome, I believe we have a self correcting system overall. Obnoxious performers are usually short-lived, as entertainers anyway. They are not requested to perform as others are, they recieve no largesse, few titles if any and are generally not asked to teach or assist in the bardic arts in their community. They do generally figure out that something is wrong, even if they decide accusing the audience of stupidity is the easier response emotionally.

New performers who are serious about their art listen to and seek out their fellow performers. They may want for mentoring or advice on occasion, but generally these folks don't need goading in either direction.

The issue was not what we should do about bad bards in a large sense, not originally. Originally the discussion was what to do to save a particular circle.
I think the question has been answered.
 Control of the circle is best.
We don't tell people "no, you can't perform because I heard you do a piece five years ago I didn't like." Nor do we throw vegetables or eggs (with sincerity, anyway). We are striving for a certain standard of behaviour. Therefore...
Pass the candle, cup, lantern, etc.
One piece at a time.
If a bad piece drags the circle down, a good one can revive it. If no good pieces appear in time to save the circle, let it die gracefully. Forcing a circle is weird and uncomfortable. It will reappear wherever people WANT it to.
As for whether we should have a Kingdom wide standard or a code or an ethic of sorts, I can only propose one.
"The audience is right."

~Finnacan