[Bards] Gerald's Complaint?

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 05:52:16 PDT 2007

> I'm not trying to discourage classes, I just think that the
> gatherings tend to have a longer period of exposure to the
> intangibles for those who are having trouble with the concept
> of engaging the audience, the importance of constant tempo
> (especially when singing with others), how to "read" the mood
> of an audience and where it should go.
>
> Damn!  This was supposed to be short.

Gerald, take as long as you need -- we'll read it (or not) at our own
speed, and some things take as many words as they take when we are doing
them "right".

"Supposed to be short":  tales grow in the telling, and so does
instruction, critique, camaraderie.  Every good thing should be so
encouraged and allowed, within reason.

Performance choice example:  I perform a piece under the name "Coward of
the Beni Sad" (adapted from _The Lance of Kanana_).  In minimal form, I
can get the gist across in five minutes BUT the story suffers. The
natural length seems to fall better in the ten minute area.  So, do I
give it the "best" length or go the minimalist route even if the story
suffers in the process?

(Amra's Admonition:  Take the time you need to do a thing 'right', and
you will seldom be disappointed.)

AND a request of my own -- if anyone can find evidence of the tale of
Kanana dating prior to 1600ce, send it my way PLEASE.

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen