[Bards] What can we do to make things better

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed May 2 06:52:08 PDT 2007

Gerald asked:

> Our community likes to think of itself as a nurturing community that
> encourages new talent to grow.  We do a fair job of it, but from time to
> time we go too far and try to nurture that which just ain't there.  A silk
> purse / sow's ear dilemma.  And who, among us, wants to be the one to go
> tell the gentle that they really should consider accordion lessons?  I
> promise you, I'm not struggling to be first in line.
>
> That having been said, how do you tell a person who wants to be a
> nightingale that they're a crow?  How do you handle someone who wants to
> be
> a skald that a stutter of that magnitude is just REALLY hard to get
> around?

I dunno.  In early Ansteorra we had a particularly bad example.  Somebody
wanted to become a bard even though he had a clear, recognizable,
distracting speech impediment.  It was so bad that he couldn't even
correctly pronounce his own name.

Furthermore, he was a stubborn, egotistical person who could not be
persuaded, so we were forced to listen to his works.  Nobody was able to rid
the kingdom of this irredeemable would-be bard.  What a shame that he wasn't
gently persuaded to sit down so we could hear the good performers instead.

Wobin of Gilwell / Jay Wudin